Friday, December 9, 2011

Listening To Her


This Blog is part of the Men Say No Blogathon, encouraging men to take up action against the violence faced by women. 

More entries to the Blogathon can be read at www.mustbol.in/blogathon. Join further conversation on facebook.com/delhiyouth & twitter.com/mustbol



If I were a boy even just for a day
I'd roll out of bed in the morning
And throw on what I wanted, and go...


This is one of Beyonce Knowles' best loved songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWpsOqh8q0M&ob=av2e).

Drink beer with the guys
And chase after girls
I'd kick it with who I wanted
And I'd never get confronted for it
'Cause they stick up for me.

I like the song. I like it because of the lyrics. It's a woman trying to imagine herself in a man's shoes. The stanzas oscillate between what she understands a man generally is- his daily activities, the fun he has with friends, etc.; and how she sees him treating a woman- imagining herself as a more sensitive man than the one in front of her, than her partner.

I'd listen to her
'Cause I know how it hurts...

How he takes her for granted-

I'd put myself first
And make the rules as I go
'Cause I know that she'd be faithful
Waiting for me to come home, to come home

And a man she envisions, whose love is true and pure and selfless, because she being a woman has seen one side of the picture-

If I were a boy
I think I could understand
How it feels to love a girl
I swear I'd be a better man...

Somewhere it is also telling of the freedom and mobility that men enjoy a lot more by default, by virtue of their Gender identity. And then, how this freedom tends to make some men impatient, and some reckless- a quality that is taken for granted, and many a time celebrated as ideal male behaviour.

Yes there are many ways of interpreting a work of art. And this is my interpretation of this song. Because I think that although I've met a large number of men who respect women, there are still quite a few men, who I wish would step into a woman's shoes sometimes to understand just how she feels when he is derisive to her.

2 comments: